Sunday, November 14, 2010

Hedgehogs, Squirrels and Falafel



I bought a set of really cute cookie cutters that were shaped like forrest animals in Ikea. I bought them for gingerbread cookies that I will make in the future, but I could not resist to use them for tonight's appetizer and a dinner. The appetizer animals were made out of rye bread, Miso mayo and Tofurky deli slices. The forrest mushroom (Amanita muscaria) was made out of a tomato and Sheese, and everything was sitting on fresh thyme.

The dinner was a stir-fry with Udon noodles and fried tofu animals. I finally splurged on a toasted sesame oil. Until yesterday I didn't think that I needed this quite expensive oil (almost $4 for a small bottle), but after reading tofu and stir-fry recipes in cookbooks and on blogs I decided to give it a shot. I marinated my tofu hedgehogs and squirrels in toasted sesame oil, soy sauce and rice vinegar and it was amazing! Much better then regular olive oil or canola oil that I used to use.



My vegan friend Dave made some wonderful homemade falafel and a homemade tofu-dill sauce. He was so nice and brought me some to work today and I loved it. Thanks, Dave! I hope that he will start his own blog so he can share the recipe with everyone :-)



5 comments:

  1. I just got these same (adorable) cookie cutters in Ikea this weekend! :) It's a fun idea to use them for cutting tofu, too - oh, and the food looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so know what I'm going to do with my next block of tofu, how cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zomg! Cutest tofu ever, I'm going to Ikea next week & I want to get these cutters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, those cookie cutters are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookie cutters are too cute! That's a really fun way to jazz up tofu.

    ReplyDelete