Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The last day of Vegan MoFo, Czech Pancakes and Czech lazy dinner



This is officially the last day of Vegan MoFo. I am so happy that I joined this vegan worldwide blogging event. This was my first year of Vegan MoFoing and I am sure that I will do it again next year. Vegan MoFo was a great kick-start for my blog. It was fun. I had a chance to find some cool blogs and amazing people that I would not know abut if it was not for Vegan MoFo. I found a lot of inspiration for recipes, pictures and other things on these awesome blogs. I participated in many blog giveaways and contests and even won something. I did three giveaways on my blog and I will do much more in the future. There were days that I would rather watch TV, read or go to bed after a long day at work, but I didn't give up and posted every single day. I am quite proud of myself :-) I didn't think that I could do it, but here I am, doing my last Vegan MoFo post. Thank you for reading my blog and commenting and thank you all Vegan MoFoers for posting as much as you could on your blogs.
To honor the last day of this journey I wanted to share some more veganized traditional Czech foods. I created a vegan version of Czech pancakes. Czech pancakes look more like a thicker version of crepes, not the typical American pancakes that you pour maple syrup on.


Palačinky (Czech Pancakes-Crepes)

4 1/3 cups almond or soy milk

4 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder

4 tsp. corn starch

3 Tbs sugar

powdered sugar topping (optional)

Filling: Jam, Apple or Prune Butter or Chocolate-Hazelnut spread

In a blender, mix all the ingredients together until smooth, adding more milk if the batter is too thick.

Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium-hight heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Pour a thin layer of batter into the center of the pan, holding the pan firmly and tilting the pan in circular motion so the batter spreads in a thin layer across the bottom of the pan. Cook until the top is dry and flip to cook the other side. Cook on both sides until golden brown. Spread with filling of your choice and roll it up. You can sprinkle them with powdered sugar. Serve Palačinky warm or cold.



A typical American looking for as quick and easy dinner will reach for a frozen "TV dinner" that is microwaved in few minutes.
A typical Czech looking for a quick and easy dinner will boil some hot dogs in a pot with water and serve them with mustard or ketchup, and a rye bread (usually with caraway seeds). This is my vegan quick and easy dinner that mimics the typical Czech dinner. It took me only 5 minutes to prepare. So simple and yet so delicious. I also used some horseradish sauce along with mustard and ketchup.





8 comments:

  1. Ooo I love it! When I was a kid this is the dish that I think I would ask for more than anything else, I just love crepes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say, I love your blog. Keep up the great work girl! Keep on fightin' the good fight! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend from Czech made these for us a long time ago- it reminded me of her! They were SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elisabeth! You won the Kiss my Face giveaway on my blog. Head on over to send me an email with your mailing address to claim your prize!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pancakes without eggs, wow, I have to try this!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I found your blog through mofo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @the Dirty Vegan-Thank you for the encouraging words!
    @Cala-Yupee! Thank you!
    @VegSpinz-Try these and let me know what you think.
    @panda-Thank you, I am happy that I found your blog and Mr. Bran :-)

    Everyone, that you for all your support and comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing that recipe - I love pancake/crepe-type things of all sorts, and those look great, perfect with a fruity filling.

    ReplyDelete