Saturday, November 13, 2010

My vegan pantry staple spotlight: Couscous

Couscous is a small pasta made out of semolina (from durum wheat), that has been precooked and dried. I love this tiny pasta! I keep some in my pantry all the time. It is a very versatile pasta that can be used as a rice substitute. It is quick and easy to prepare and has a quite interesting texture, that some people might find unpleasant ( I heard some comments that eating couscous is like eating sand.....)
I usually put some in a bowl, pour boiling water over it and then cover it and let it sit for few minutes. Then I fluff it with fork and it's done :-)
I love making a couscous salad with some tomatoes, olives, roasted red peppers, cucumbers and oil & vinegar dressing. Sometimes I make it sweet as a dessert (with cinnamon, sugar and raisins). Here are some of my previous couscous dishes:

Lemon couscous risotto with kale and black beans



Couscous with tomatoes, roasted red peppers and kalamata olives


Fake chicken "Tuscan style", mushroom parsley couscous and lingonberry preserves



3 comments:

  1. I make a cumin and curry-spiced veggie couscous with chickpeas, zucchini, and summer squash. I also love lemon couscous with Moroccan veggie terrines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy couscous. I don't use couscous enough I've decided.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celyn, that sounds great. I have to try it. Do you have a recipe for the Moroccan veggie terrines?

    ReplyDelete