Thursday, November 25, 2010

My vegan Thanksgiving among meat eaters




I baked my Tofurky roast last night. I could not resist and had some for dinner with mashed sweet potatoes yesterday.
I was invited to my aunt's and uncle's house for Thanksgiving. Over the years I have become more tolerant towards meat eaters and I don't make any negative comments or give them hard time while they chew on their dead turkey leg smothered in gravy and wash it down with a glass of cold cow's milk. They are my family and I respect their choices as much as they respect my choices. We live in a real world and as much as I would love for everyone to be vegan I have to accept the fact that we live among non-vegans. Over the years they stopped making funny comments about my "weird" Tofurky and the fact that I bring my own vegan butter and check every ingredients before I put anything in my mouth at family events. I also believe that the best way to get someone interested in veganism or even try it is to show them how wonderful the food can be and that they are not missing out on anything if they go cruelty-free. I also believe that a positive attitude is the key to get meat eaters take us more seriously. There is nothing worse than a vegan who looks miserable eating a piece of lettuce and baked potato complaining and making nasty comments at a Thanksgiving table while everyone is having a good time and enjoying their full plates. I don't expect anyone to go out of their way and whip up a vegan meal for me, but I greatly appreciate if someone is thoughtful and makes some adjustments to dishes so I can enjoy them too. My aunt made amazing bread stuffing (dressing) for everyone, but used a vegetable broth instead of a chicken broth so I could enjoy it, too. I brought my own Tofurky roast that I baked at home last night. I made homemade vegan mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy for everyone and they loved it. Nobody missed the cow's milk or real butter. A big pot of mashed potatoes was gone in no time. I also baked my cranberry pumpkin walnut bread as a dessert for everyone.
What are your thoughts about family dinners among meat eaters? How was your Thanksgiving?


Tofurky Roast :-)


Basting my Tofurky

Homemade mushroom gravy

No comments:

Post a Comment