Monday, January 24, 2011

Dirty Rice


I created this recipe when I needed a quick, filling and tasty dinner few years ago. I make this dish quite often and I wanted to share the recipe with my readers. This time I didn't have any avocados so I used 8 oz frozen pepper strips instead. I cooked them along with the onion. I served the Dirty Rice with salsa verde for an extra flavor kick. The original recipe does not include the pepper strips, but you can use them along with the avocado. Enjoy!




Dirty Rice

1 Tbs oil
1 medium-size onion, chopped
1 15-oz can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup cooked rice
1 large ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
1-2 tsp cajun seasoning
salt and black pepper to taste
tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips (optional topping)

Directions:

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add corn, beans and cajun seasoning, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in rice and cook 2 more minutes. Gently stir in diced avocado and season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment