Friday, January 28, 2011

Walnut-Lentil Stuffed Mushrooms and Crispy Tenders


Few days ago I found a great recipe for Walnut-Lentil Stuffed Mushrooms in the newest issue of Vegetarian Times Magazine (January/February 2011, page 70). Lately, I have been trying to get more Omega-3 fatty acids into my diet, especially DHA. I take a daily vegan liquid supplement with flaxseed oil, borage oil and DHA algal oil to get enough Omega-3, 6 and 9 fatty acids. The liquid supplement provides me with plenty of essential fatty acids, but I am trying to get more through my diet.
Unfortunately pure DHA is found mostly in fish oil and the vegan version (made from algae) can be a quite expensive supplement. The good news is, according to Vegetarian Times Magazine, your body can convert ALA (found flaxseed oil, walnuts and canola oil ) into DHA :-)
I have been trying to eat walnuts, ground flaxseed and extra flaxseed oil (on top of my supplement) almost everyday.
This recipe has walnuts and walnut oil so it is packed with omega-3 fatty acids. I loved the stuffing so much that I made an extra batch of the walnut-lentil stuffing and used it as a pate the next day. For the pate I cut back on the sage a little since I found it a bit overwhelming for the pate.
I used Edward & Sons "Not-Chick'n bouillon cubes" dissolved in water instead of the vegetable broth and it added a wonderful flavor that a vegetable broth could not. I served the stuffed mushrooms with baked Gardein's Crispy Tenders and a salad. I like Gardein products for the taste and because they use ancient grains (quinoa, amaranth, kamut and millet) in their products, plus it is very convenient.





4 comments:

  1. Those tenders are so frickin delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore those tenders! Your stuffed mushrooms look awesome, as well! Are they fried as well as stuffed? It's a bit hard to tell. Walnuts are a great idea for filling - I may have to get that issue of the magazine if I can still find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks April, The mushrooms are first fried a little on the bottom and then they are sauteed in broth. The lentil and walnut mixture is very good. The magazine is still available for sale, but they should put the recipe online soon.

    ReplyDelete