Sunday, October 23, 2011

Czech Sauerkraut Soup aka Zelňačka (Vegan MoFo Day 23)



This is a veganized version of a very popular Czech soup. I used canola oil instead of lard or butter, and I did not add any kielbasa or ham. The meat additions are popular but not always used in this soup. You can add your favorite vegan versions of ham, sausages or kielbasa at the end of cooking. Fry the mock meat before adding it to the soup.

Czech Sauerkraut Soup aka Zelňačka

1-2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
1 small onion, diced
1 Tbs canola oil
2 cups sauerkraut, drained and coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
10 cups water or vegetable broth
salt to taste

Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Add sauerkraut, paprika, caraway seeds and water. Bring to boil and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add potatoes, bring back to boil, lower heat to medium and cook 30 minutes, or until potatoes are soft (until you can easily pierce them with fork), stirring occasionally. Season with salt. Serve with rye bread for a more authentic experience.




4 comments:

  1. Yum! I love sauerkraut and love the idea of putting it in a soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum that looks fantastic! I love sauerkraut in soup! I have a Polish soup that I always make which has sauerkraut in it and I love it! I'll definitely have to give this one a try.

    I'm hosting a Vegan Soup-off, I hope you will join in and submit something delicious like this! Details: http://gormandizewithus.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/vegan-soup-off-blog-hop-announcement.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. vypada to moc dobre! uz se tesim az si to uvarim! diky! :)

    ReplyDelete