Thursday, October 13, 2011

Czech style Rice Pudding-Vegan MoFo Day 13


Czech rice pudding is traditionally made with milk and raisins and then baked with whipped egg whites on top. That is served with canned or jarred fruit (usually plums, peaches or strawberries). I skipped the baking step because I don't use egg whites so there was no reason for me to bake the pudding. I served mine with canned peaches. When I first worked on this recipe, I used a different method of cooking and different ratios of non-dairy milk and water which resulted in two fails. The first recipe fail was undercooked, tough, rice. The second was burned rice on the bottom of the sauce pan-from the sugar in non-dairy milk (when I tried to cook it in the non-dairy milk instead of water in the beginning).


Czech Rice Pudding

1 cup white rice, uncooked
2 cups water
1 cups soy, almond or coconut milk
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon


canned fruit of your choice, if desired

Combine rice and water in a medium sauce pan. Bring to boil. Lower the heat, cover with tightly fitting lid. Simmer 15 minutes. Add non-dairy milk, raisins, sugar and cinnamon, stir to combine. Cook uncovered,stirring constantly for about 10 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is soft and creamy. Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or chilled, topped with canned fruit if desired.



4 comments:

  1. Ooh, my grandmother's rice pudding was one of my favorite things, pre-veganism! I'm so excited to try this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that this would taste awesome with vanilla soymilk. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is in the oven now. trying this for my daughters project at school.Hope its good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thrilled to find this recipe! For my entire life I had a favorite rice pudding recipe but lost it in a move. This is about as close as I remember it EXCEPT for the fact that mine includes an entire tablespoon of lemon extract in it. M-m-m-m-m-m!

    ReplyDelete