Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday's dinner (Vegan MoFo Day 30)



When I was volunteering at World Peace Cafe on Monday, one of the things that I prepared was Mango Salsa for their Jamaican veggie burgers. I have never had mango salsa prior to that Monday so I did not know what to expect. I was a bit scared or the jalapeno peppers, but the mango cooled the hot peppers down, and the cilantro gave it a nice touch. I liked it so much that I decided to make some at home tonight. I volunteered again today and when I came home I did not feel like cooking anything complicated. I had some tofu bathing in a lime, soy sauce and sesame oil marinade in the fridge since this morning. I bought the mango salsa ingredients yesterday so I just made the salsa while my tofu flowers were baking. I added lime juice to the salsa for extra zing.
I wore gloves when I was cleaning and chopping the jalapeno pepper and I am glad that I did because shortly after I made the salsa I had to rub my eye and if I had some jalapeno pepper on my hand it would not be a pleasant experience....... I served the baked tofu and salsa with raw avocado slices. What a tasty, flavorful, colorful, fresh and healthy dinner :-) Have you ever made mango salsa? Do you have a favorite recipe?


5 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous! I love simple recipes like this, that come together with a lovely presentation. I will have to try the mango salsa! I love spicy food...I may use some pickled habaneros, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make mango salsa all the time with red onion, lime juice and cilantro. Delicious.

    Oh, and I have chopped jalapeno's and then rubbed my eye. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jalapeno isnt so bad. Plus mango is a very mellow flavor that cools the mouth well. That is why you see it often in mexican and indian food. Great stuff!

    http://haymarket8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have rubbed my eye after cutting peppers...once! It only takes once, it burns like nothing else, ow. Glad you didn't make that mistake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ruby June-I would probably stay away from pickled ones since you want to make your salsa nice and fresh and the fresh pepper gives it a nice touch. If you decide to make it with pickled peppers, try it first with fresh ones and then another batch with pickled.
    @The Vegan Version I will try red onions next time instead of yellow, it will make the salsa more colorful :-)
    @Vic Thanks
    @Heather ouch!

    ReplyDelete