Sunday, October 16, 2011

Vegan "Chicken" Salad-Vegan MoFo Day 16



Vegan "Chicken" Salad

2 cups TVP (textured vegetable protein)
4 cups fake chicken or vegetable broth
(I used 2 Edward & Sons Not-Chick'n bouillon cubes and 4 cups of water)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning (optional)
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
1/3 cup vegan mayo
2 Tbs dill pickles, finely chopped
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
salt and black pepper to taste


In a medium pot bring broth to a boil (or bring water to a boil and dissolve bouillon cubes in the boiling water). Add garlic powder, onion powder and poultry seasoning. Stir in the TVP. Lower the heat to medium low and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain excess liquid using a stainer. Cool completely before using in the salad.
In a large bowl mix TVP with the rest of the ingredients and stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. This salad makes delicious and filling sandwiches. Serve with lettuce and tomatoes if desired.


9 comments:

  1. LOVE this recipe and can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic! I just found your blog and I've already got about five new recipes I can't wait to try. Thanks for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks fantastic, I've bookmarked the recipe & I'll definitely be making it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, that looks good! I'm going to try it with chickpeas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, everyone :-)
    Mandee- I make my mock tuna salad with similar ingredients and use chickpeas instead of TVP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I linked to this post on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. check out this vegan wallet i found online, it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete