Saturday, November 12, 2011

Dirty Vegan Foods


Few days ago I received a wonderful package from a cool vegan bakery "Dirty Vegan Foods" that was founded by two animal lovers with a goal to veganize all the snacky junky food that you loved as a kid. They make freshly baked "naughty Food with none of the Guilt!". I am very thankful for their sweet samples :-)




Do you miss Twinkies from your pre-vegan days? Now you can get a vegan version that is, in my opinion, much tastier and healthier than the popular American Twinkie. This sweet vegan miracle is called Winkie (Vegan Marshmallow Creme filled Canoe). The Winkie was born February 1st 2010. I wanted to compare the ingredients with Twinkies and I was horrified to find out that there are 37 ingredients in a Twinkie!
That is crazy! And most of the ingredients are horrible! Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour [Flour, Reduced Iron, B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic Acid)], Corn Syrup, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable and/or Animal Shortening (Soybean, Cottonseed and/or Canola Oil, Beef Fat), Whole Eggs, Dextrose. Contains 2% or Less of: Modified Corn Starch, Glucose, Leavenings (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Monocalcium Phosphate), Sweet Dairy Whey, Soy Protein Isolate, Calcium and Sodium Caseinate, Salt, Mono and Diglycerides, Polysorbate 60, Soy Lecithin, Soy Flour, Cornstarch, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sorbic Acid (to Retain Freshness), Yellow 5, Red 40. (source Fooducate)


Bleached Flour? High Fructose Corn Syrup? Partially Hydrogenated Animal Shortening-Beef Fat? Eggs, Whey, chemicals and artificial flavors and colors? GROSS! As you can see, Twinkies are not vegan or even vegetarian.

On the other hand, Dirty Vegan Foods Winkies have only few ingredients: Unbleached flour, water, sugar, canola oil, corn syrup, non-hydrogenated shortening, tapioca starch, powdered soy, potato starch, barley malt, vanilla, baking soda, sea salt, natural flavors and gums.

None of these ingredients scare me or disgust me.

I loved Winkies! Super moist, dense, sweet canoe shaped cake that was generously filled with creamy marshmallow filling. I caught myself smile as I was eating these bad boys. I wish I had a whole big cake made into a giant Winkie!


Rocky Cookies Bites (photo source)

Oooooh, buttery chocolate chip cookies! A dozen of perfect little cookies with a generous amount of chocolate chips. I loved the balanced sweetness with a touch of salt that brought out the chocolate flavor. I put some in the microwave and heated them for a few seconds (20-30 seconds) and they came out almost like freshly baked out of the oven. They disappeared shortly after the Winkies.


Blizzard Balls (photo source)

This beautiful dessert was delicious! A dense chocolate cake (almost like a brownie), was filled with creamy vanilla filling, that was nice and fluffy, and frosted with marshmallow cream frosting and covered in coconut. I LOVE chocolate and coconut combo! Anytime, anywhere and in any form and shape. Blizzard Balls rock!



Between me and my husband the goodies were gone in two days............. I am still in a sugar coma now, a few days later :-)

If you want to find out more about this company and their delicious baked goodies, or want to order some freshly baked vegan junk food:

"Like" Dirty Vegan Foods on Facebook. Follow them on Twitter and visit their online store

8 comments:

  1. These look INSANE! Where is this company based?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are in Dartmouth, MA. They ship worldwide though and since it is cold outside your goodies do not melt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just placed an order! Thank you, Elisabeth, so much for featuring them! I had never heard of the Dirty Vegan before reading your post. OMG SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely going to post about her on cracktheplates.com . People are going to FLIP OUT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Adrienne I am confident that you will like the goodies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't miss twinkies but I think I'd like winkies and definitely the blizzard balls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. winkies! haha. you turned me on to Jokerz too. your blog is so bad for me. :) Haha

    http://haymarket8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Gigi :-)
    @Vic I am here to drag you to the dark side, the sweet vegan side :-)

    ReplyDelete